consultation 24/7

all credit cards accepted

Retail License

Our Former New Jersey Deputy Attorney General has handled hundreds of ABC cases. Let us put our experience to work for you.

Schedule Consultation

Liquor Licenses for Liquor Stores, Restaurants & Bars

New Jersey Liquor License Attorney

The largest class of Alcoholic Beverage Licenses (commonly referred to as a “liquor license”) is the Class C Retailer’s License. These licenses allow the licensee to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption (liquor store) and/or on-premise consumption (bar/restaurant). These privileges and rights are identified and defined under N.J.S.A. 33:1-12 and N.J.S.A. 33:1-19. Specifically, Class C retailer licenses include:

  • Club Licenses (“31”) 
  • Retail Consumption License with Broad Package Privilege (“32”) 
  • Plenary Retail Consumption License (“33”) 
  • Seasonal Retail Consumption License (“34”)
  • Hotel/Motel License (“36”) 
  • Theatre License (“37”)
  • Plenary Retail Distribution License (“44”) 
  • Limited Retail Distribution License (“43”)
  • Plenary Retail Transit License (“13”)

New Jersey retail licenses are issued and controlled by the local governing board or ABC Board in the municipality where the license is sited. Retail licenses cannot be transferred or moved outside of the boundaries of the municipality where it was originally issued. Moreover, each municipality may only possess a limited number of retail licenses. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 33:1-12.14, for every 3,000 persons a town can issue one (1) consumption license, and it can issue one distribution license for every 7,500 persons. For these reasons, liquor licenses are highly sought after in certain areas and carry a great deal of value.

How Can I Get a Liquor License in NJ?

If you are looking to purchase or sell your liquor license, then you need to be aware of the varying values of each license in each respective municipality. Additionally, each local issuing authority may impose further restrictions on the operation abilities of each local license. Failure to make yourself aware of these possible restrictions could prove fatal to your ability to run a successful business.

Do I Need an Attorney For NJ ABC Charges?

If you are facing a formal Notice of Charges against your license or you are seeing to buy/sell you liquor license, there are countless pitfalls that you need to know. Call the ABC Liquor License attorneys at Proetta, Oliver & Fay at 732.858.5857. Firm partner and former New Jersey Alcoholic Beverage Control Deputy Attorney General, William C. Fay, IV, heads of Alcoholic Beverage Law practice group. He spent part of his career regulating and enforcing the rules and regulations under the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act on behalf of the New Jersey Attorney General. Allow Mr. Fay to put his industry insight to work for you and your liquor license. Experience matters when it comes to your business and livelihood. Call the attorneys who can offer the unparalleled experience expected of an ABC attorney.

Contact Us

Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. We are available weekdays during business hours. We also meet with clients on evenings and weekends by request. All major credit cards are accepted.

Proetta, Oliver & Fay

100 Horizon Center Boulevard,
Hamilton, NJ 08691
By Appointment Only

Map and Directions


242 10th Street Suite 103
Jersey City, NJ 07302
By Appointment Only

Map and Directions


20 Commerce Drive, Room 135
Cranford, New Jersey 07016
By Appointment Only

Map and Directions


3840 Park Avenue, Suite 202A
Edison, New Jersey 08820
By Appointment Only


Map and Directions


180 Kings Highway,
Middletown Township, NJ 07748
By Appointment Only

Map and Directions


525 Highway 73, Suite 104,
Marlton, NJ 08053
By Appointment Only

Map and Directions